As a crucial part of the Alcumus Data Function, this role is responsible for management of Alcumus’ databases to ensure optimal performance, security, and reliability. You will be responsible for maintaining the company's database systems, performing database backups and recovery, and providing technical support to end-users. The DBA will also work closely with other IT & Business Intelligence colleagues to ensure that the database environment is in line with our goals and objectives.
What that means day to day
Main responsibilities include:
What you’ll need to be successful
- Manage and maintain the company's databases, including monitoring their performance and security.
- Design and implement database backup and recovery strategies to ensure data protection and disaster recovery.
- Troubleshoot and resolve database-related issues and work with end-users to resolve application-level problems.
- Perform database tuning and optimization to ensure the highest levels of performance.
- Manage database security, including creating and maintaining user accounts, assigning roles and privileges, and monitoring access logs.
- Work closely with other IT staff to ensure that database environments are aligned with organisational goals and objectives.
- Develop and maintain database documentation, including data dictionaries, data flow diagrams, and system diagrams.
- Stay up to date with emerging database technologies and industry trends.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience as a DBA or in a similar role.
- Experience with database administration tools such as Oracle, MySQL, and SQL Server.
- Experience with database backup and recovery strategies, including point-in-time recovery and full system backups.
- Experience with cloud-based database technologies such as Amazon Web Services (AWS), Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- Experience with database tuning and optimisation, including index creation, query optimisation, and storage allocation.
- Understanding of database security principles, including authentication, authorisation, and encryption.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent Problem-solving ability
What you’ll get in return
- Knowledge of database automation tools such as Puppet, Chef, or Ansible
- Familiarity with Big Data technologies such as Hadoop, Apache Spark, or NoSQL databases
- Understanding of data warehousing and Business Intelligence (BI) concepts
- Knowledge of scripting languages such as Python, Perl, or PowerShell
- Experience with data migration and integration tools such as SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) or Oracle Data Integrator (ODI)
FOR THE HERE AND NOW – We provide a mature and flexible ‘work your way’ culture, generous holiday allowance, a ‘giving day’ to give back to others, enhanced family friendly leave (regardless of gender), an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts, cover for a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services, a cycle to work scheme and paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell.
FOR FUN – You spend a significant percentage of your time with your colleagues (and what a great bunch of people they are!) and it’s important to us that everyone contributes to an environment that is positive and full of laughs. We’ve always got something going on, from charity events and competitions to recognition events and awards and we encourage our teams to get involved and have fun along the way.
FOR THE FUTURE – To set you up for later on in life, we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions and a life assurance policy for peace of mind. We offer a plethora of development resources and support, including access to LinkedIn learning to support you as you develop your career with us. Last year alone we filled nearly 30% of our roles with internal candidates (which equates to almost 50 people being promoted!)
Sound interesting so far?
What you can expect if you apply:
- A response to your application within 15 working days
- An interview process consisting of:
- An initial discovery call with the recruiter
- A first stage interview via Microsoft Teams
- Additional interview (likely face to face) with the stakeholders you’ll be working with closely in the role
We’re keen to ensure our hiring process allows you to be at your best, so if you need us to make any adjustments, please just let us know.
- Reporting To: Head of BI
- Employment Type: full_time