The Database Administrator is responsible for maintaining our product databases.
Reporting to the VP of Engineering you will be responsible for supporting and co-ordinating activities across the databases for our core products and services. This will include managing and scaling the performance of our platform and represents an opportunity to take ownership of a key technical aspect of the technology that underpins Alcumus.
What that means day to day
- Write and implement procedures for backup, archiving and disaster recovery
- Design indexing strategies
- Defining the test data requirements
- Define database schema and develop best practice approaches
- Capacity plan data requirements and work with the QA department to ensure that these are tested against non-functional and functional requirements
- Configuration of databases within development and production environments to ensure performance, high availability and resilience whilst protecting costs
- Ensure data is secure within the databases
- Working with DevOps, setup and maintain monitoring and alerting across the database estate.
- Diagnose and resolve production problems within the database area.
What you’ll need to be successful
- Strong PostgreSQL database experience.
- Experience with MSSQL databases.
- Open source tools for unit testing eg dbunit
- Advanced SQL development skills, including writing complex SQL queries/procedures
- Solid understanding of Cloud database technology including AWS Aurora
- Extensive knowledge of database design
- Experience in resolving performance bottlenecks
- Extensive experience in leading / assisting with data migration projects
You may also have a degree in a relevant STEM subject or equivalent work experience, and development experience in at least one language (preferably Java) and MS Azure experience.
What you’ll get in return
FOR THE HERE AND NOW – We provide a mature and flexible ‘work your way’ culture, generous holiday allowance, a ‘giving day’ to give back to others, enhanced family friendly leave (regardless of gender), an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts, cover for a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services, a cycle to work scheme and paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell.
FOR FUN – You spend a significant percentage of your time with your colleagues (and what a great bunch of people they are!) and it’s important to us that everyone contributes to an environment that is positive and full of laughs. We’ve always got something going on, from charity events and competitions to recognition events and awards and we encourage our teams to get involved and have fun along the way.
FOR THE FUTURE – To set you up for later on in life, we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions and a life assurance policy for peace of mind. We offer a plethora of development resources and support, including access to LinkedIn learning to support you as you develop your career with us. Last year alone we filled nearly 30% of our roles with internal candidates (which equates to almost 50 people being promoted!)
Sound interesting so far?
What you can expect if you apply:
- A response to your application within 15 working days
- An interview process consisting of:
- An initial discovery call with the recruiter
- A first stage interview via Microsoft Teams
- Additional interview (likely face to face) with the stakeholders you’ll be working with closely in the role
We’re keen to ensure our hiring process allows you to be at your best, so if you need us to make any adjustments, please just let us know.
- Reporting To: VP of Engineering
- Employment Type: full_time