The Development Manager holds responsibility for the day-to-day management of software developers of varying seniority in the creation of high-quality software applications within an Agile environment, whilst building and promoting a positive working environment and motivating team members to reach their potential.
In addition, this role holds responsibility for providing help to senior management (including hiring and training), keeping management updated on team performance and communicating goals, best practices, concerns and policies.
What that means day to day
What you’ll need to be successful
- Collaborate as and when required, with the Director of Engineering, Scrum Masters and Product Owners and work to resolve any blockers that are impeding progress
- In partnership with HR, Recruitment and the Director of Engineering, partner in the recruitment and induction activities to ensure high calibre candidates are selected for the team and subsequently supported during their onboarding period
- Support the design, development, testing and deploying of new and existing software aligned to the product roadmap meeting the changing needs of our key markets
- Ensuring that secure SDLC techniques are followed whilst delivering the business needs.
- Be an integral part of the development team, actively contributing towards development of tools, services and platforms, as well as day to day management
- Review and regularly contribute, working with the Director of Engineering, to the ongoing improvement of team practices and Ways of Working, with an aim to making the team more effective and improving delivery
- Collaborate with other teams – both within the Technology department and across the business – to identify improvements to existing processes and services or where new services could be developed
- Evaluate projects, develop and update schedules plus supervise project status
- Work closely with the quality teams to ensure that standards are maintained and improved
- Provide regular, honest and constructive feedback to the team through monthly 121s and PDRs, ensuring absolute clarity on expectations and performance
- Work closely with the HR team to manage poor performance, absence levels and disciplinary procedures as required
- Organise, mentor and motivate a team of talented developers steering them through a significant period of growth and change
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to understand and explain issues from both a technical and business functional point of view at all levels from end-user to senior management
What you’ll get in return
- Leading development teams of 5+ members
- 6+ years of development in some of the following development platforms (or similar)
- o NodeJS/Express or React
- o Java (including Spring/Hibernate)
- o Ruby
- o .NET
- o Bash/shell script
- 6+ years use of some of the following data platforms:
- o MSSQL
- o MySQL
- o NoSQL - Mongo/CouchDB
- o GraphQL
- o Use of the following tools/systems
- o REST
- o Docker
- DevOps exposure
- Working as a member of an Agile Scrum team.
- Competent with Microsoft Office Applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
- Excellent communication skills, collaborative and able to inspire others
- Analytical and logical mind
- Ability to prioritise and work within deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure · Self-motivated
FOR THE HERE AND NOW – We provide a mature and flexible ‘work your way’ culture, generous holiday allowance, a ‘giving day’ to give back to others, enhanced family friendly leave (regardless of gender), an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts, cover for a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services, a cycle to work scheme and paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell.
FOR FUN – You spend a significant percentage of your time with your colleagues (and what a great bunch of people they are!) and it’s important to us that everyone contributes to an environment that is positive and full of laughs. We’ve always got something going on, from charity events and competitions to recognition events and awards and we encourage our teams to get involved and have fun along the way.
FOR THE FUTURE – To set you up for later on in life, we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions and a life assurance policy for peace of mind. We offer a plethora of development resources and support, including access to LinkedIn learning to support you as you develop your career with us. Last year alone we filled nearly 30% of our roles with internal candidates (which equates to almost 50 people being promoted!)
Sound interesting so far?
What you can expect if you apply:
- A response to your application within 15 working days
- An interview process consisting of:
- An initial discovery call with the recruiter
- A first stage interview via Microsoft Teams
- Additional interview (likely face to face) with the stakeholders you’ll be working with closely in the role
We’re keen to ensure our hiring process allows you to be at your best, so if you need us to make any adjustments, please just let us know.
- Reporting To: Director, Engineering
- Employment Type: full_time