The Development Manager is a hands off role that will be responsible for leading a team of developers that oversee development effort for one or more of our products.
This will include day-to-day management of software developers in the creation of high-quality software applications within an Agile environment, whilst building and promoting a positive working environment and motivating team members.
We are a global technology team based across Canada and the UK. We have a flexible workplace policy and you'll be able to work on a hybrid basis from anywhere in the UK but will be required to work from the Cardiff office as well.
What that means day to day
· Accountable for the development of high-quality software for your product, and associated results to team performance indicators
· Work to ensure smooth operation of team processes (stand up, planning, grooming, retros). Evaluate blockers to team velocity or quality, and champion improvements to processes to drive high quality software
· Support project prioritisation, design and scoping effort, development, testing and deployment of new and existing software aligned to the product roadmap meeting the changing needs of our key markets
· Work with stakeholder groups such as Engineering, Product, Delivery, Infrastructure, Service Desk, Quality Assurance, DevOps, Customer Success and any other group to ensure smooth communication of team progress to project priorities and to remove any blockers to team velocity. Identify process improvements where needed.
· Support healthy discussion and growth of technical skillsets in the team via peer-review of work, planning, lunch and learns, team demos, retros, or other avenues of shared learning and team growth
· Provide regular, honest and constructive feedback to the team through one-on-ones and performance reviews, ensuring absolute clarity on expectations and performance. Follow all performance management guidelines provided by People Success to support high performance.
· Organise, mentor and motivate a team of talented developers steering them through a significant period of growth and change
· Excellent communication skills, with an ability to understand and explain issues from both a technical and business functional point of view at all levels from end-user to senior management
What you’ll need to be successful
• Leading development teams and associated experience in driving high performance in your teams (motivation, performance management, engagement)
• Deep understanding of a modern SDLC process and related enforcement of good process and associated gates
• Strong understanding of the QA process and delivering reliable software
• Extensive experience in hands on software development and database design.
• Fluent in modern software design principles for scalable software (software patterns, SOLID design, etc.) and passionate for Test-driven design
• Experience with modern, agile software planning process and related tools (JIRA, Confluence, Scrum/Kanban)
• Experience working with a software product team
• Excellent communication skills, collaborative and able to inspire others
• Analytical and logical mind
• Ability to prioritize and work within deadlines
• Ability to work under pressure
• Principles-minded, with the ability to push back when proper procedures are not being followed correctly.
• Degree in Computer Science / Software Engineering or similar
• Experience working with JIRA/Confluence and associated configurations of workflows, boards, ticket types etc
• Experience working with a modern DevOps team, along with associated CI/CD technology
• Experience working with a mobile-based software product
• Knowledge of Docker / containerized application development
• Knowledge / experience working with service-based architectures
• Experience with the Strangler pattern for upgrading software applications
• Strong experience in full stack development.
What you’ll get in return
FOR THE HERE AND NOW – We provide a mature and flexible ‘work your way’ culture, generous holiday allowance, a ‘giving day’ to give back to others, enhanced family friendly leave (regardless of gender), an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts, cover for a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services, a cycle to work scheme and paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell.
FOR FUN – You spend a significant percentage of your time with your colleagues (and what a great bunch of people they are!) and it’s important to us that everyone contributes to an environment that is positive and full of laughs. We’ve always got something going on, from charity events and competitions to recognition events and awards and we encourage our teams to get involved and have fun along the way.
FOR THE FUTURE – To set you up for later on in life, we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions and a life assurance policy for peace of mind. We offer a plethora of development resources and support, including access to LinkedIn learning to support you as you develop your career with us. Last year alone we filled nearly 30% of our roles with internal candidates (which equates to almost 50 people being promoted!)
Sound interesting so far?
What you can expect if you apply:
· A response to your application within 15 working days
· An interview process consisting of:
o An initial discovery call with the recruiter
o A first stage interview via Microsoft Teams
o Additional interview (likely face to face) with the stakeholders you’ll be working with closely in the role
We’re keen to ensure our hiring process allows you to be at your best, so if you need us to make any adjustments, please just let us know.
- Reporting To: Senior Development Manager
- Employment Type: full_time