The Platform Engineer role holds responsibility for designing, building, deploying, and maintaining the organisation’s infrastructure and systems. In addition, this role holds responsibility for assisting in the delivery of projects for all products across the Alcumus portfolio and acting as an escalation point to customers and colleagues within agreed service levels and KPIs.
What that means day to day
What you’ll need to be successful
- Be a part of the growing DevOps team and work towards the implementation of outlined solutions for the various portfolios of our business.
- Monitoring and maintaining our products infrastructure to ensure continued service to our customers.
- Specification, design, and implementation of scalable and reliable systems.
- Work in squads to ensure that solution design and solution implementation align and evolve together, using an agile mindset.
- Provide operational support for the platform, ensuring it is scalable, reliable, and meets the needs of the company.
- Attend squad stand-up meetings, retrospectives, and planning sessions to support successful execution of their missions.
- Participate in collaborative team planning processes (estimating, prioritizing, etc.), and identify significant project milestones and risks.
- Stay up to date with new technologies and industry trends, and continuously improve the platforms to meet the changing needs of the company.
- Providing support during the opening hours of the tech support team and 24/7 support via an on-call rota.
- The consideration and application of information security principles within day-to-day tasks.
- Good understanding of networking concepts, including TCP/IP, DNS, and HTTP.
- Experience of designing, building, and maintaining infrastructure components in a cloud environment, ideally within AWS.
- Demonstrable experience of administrating cloud hosting environments, ideally within AWS.
- Experience provisioning and configuring infrastructure using IaC solutions such as Terraform.
- Experience in configuring and managing Windows and Linux servers.
- Experience in managing container orchestration systems, such as Kubernetes.
- Excellent customer service skills and telephone manner.
What you’ll get in return
- Experience of using call logging software.
- Experience using CI/CD pipeline(s), ideally within GitHub Actions.
- Firewall/network management.
- PowerShell, bash, or another coding language.
- Degree level educated.
- Experience with building docker images, deploying applications in Kubernetes clusters using helmfile and helm charts.
- Knowledge of agile software development practices.
- Experience working with at least one programming language.
- Experience using event streaming platforms like Kafka.
FOR THE HERE AND NOW – We provide a mature and flexible ‘work your way’ culture, generous holiday allowance, a ‘giving day’ to give back to others, enhanced family friendly leave (regardless of gender), an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts, cover for a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services, a cycle to work scheme and paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell.
FOR FUN – You spend a significant percentage of your time with your colleagues (and what a great bunch of people they are!) and it’s important to us that everyone contributes to an environment that is positive and full of laughs. We’ve always got something going on, from charity events and competitions to recognition events and awards and we encourage our teams to get involved and have fun along the way.
FOR THE FUTURE – To set you up for later on in life, we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions and a life assurance policy for peace of mind. We offer a plethora of development resources and support, including access to LinkedIn learning to support you as you develop your career with us. Last year alone we filled nearly 30% of our roles with internal candidates (which equates to almost 50 people being promoted!)
Sound interesting so far?
What you can expect if you apply:
- A response to your application within 15 working days
- An interview process consisting of:
- An initial discovery call with the recruiter
- A first stage interview via Microsoft Teams
- Additional interview (likely face to face) with the stakeholders you’ll be working with closely in the role
We’re keen to ensure our hiring process allows you to be at your best, so if you need us to make any adjustments, please just let us know.
- Reporting To: DevOps Manager
- Employment Type: full_time