A Principal Software Engineer holds responsibility for ensuring the standards of quality, maintainability and scalability of our software are adhered to by the development squads with which they work. Working closely with the squads to fulfil the development and support of full-lifecycle development and test of solutions for Alcumus products, they are a source of guidance, inspiration and should act as a role model for others within the engineering organisation.
The role will require keeping up to date with the latest relevant technological innovations and looking for ways to improve the software development and delivery process, lead team discussions and provide guidance on their team’s technical direction.
What that means day to day
• Produce high quality code for our server and front-end applications
• Support planning and architecture discussions to ensure solutions match the needs of the problem being solved
• Work with architects to choose new technologies
• Use and be familiar with the latest tools and technologies and be at the forefront of innovation.
• Work with the Product team to ensure highest priority work is scheduled correctly, and that feature delivery achieves the squad’s mission
• Be talented, highly motivated, and passionate about software quality and continuously strive to improve your skills and the quality of our software products
• Research, evaluate & recommend solutions to complex technology problems
What you’ll need to be successful
· Ability to deliver high quality, scalable and maintainable supported by automated testing (unit, integration, and functional tests)
· Experience working with containerized applications.
· Deep technology skills across multiple products / platforms
· Sound understanding of working in broader business domain and ability to communicate to stakeholders
· Owns the development and rollout for an entire feature
· Authors technical design documents
· Identifies risks before starting major projects
· Identifies & sets standards
· Understands code dependency and complexity; able to provide risk analysis on changes
· Mentor to other developers
· Comfortable presenting to non-technical audience
· Intimate knowledge of coding practices, standards & SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle)
· Advanced estimating skills
· Comfortable with ambiguity
· Manages multiple priorities for self and others
What you’ll get in return
FOR THE HERE AND NOW – We provide a mature and flexible ‘work your way’ culture, generous holiday allowance, a ‘giving day’ to give back to others, enhanced family friendly leave (regardless of gender), an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts, cover for a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services, a cycle to work scheme and paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell.
FOR FUN – You spend a significant percentage of your time with your colleagues (and what a great bunch of people they are!) and it’s important to us that everyone contributes to an environment that is positive and full of laughs. We’ve always got something going on, from charity events and competitions to recognition events and awards and we encourage our teams to get involved and have fun along the way.
FOR THE FUTURE – To set you up for later on in life, we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions and a life assurance policy for peace of mind. We offer a plethora of development resources and support, including access to LinkedIn learning to support you as you develop your career with us. Last year alone we filled nearly 30% of our roles with internal candidates (which equates to almost 50 people being promoted!)
Sound interesting so far?
What you can expect if you apply:
· A response to your application within 15 working days
· An interview process consisting of:
o An initial discovery call with the recruiter
o A first stage interview via Microsoft Teams
o Additional interview (likely face to face) with the stakeholders you’ll be working with closely in the role
We’re keen to ensure our hiring process allows you to be at your best, so if you need us to make any adjustments, please just let us know.
- Reporting To: Senior Development Manager
- Employment Type: permanent