The Software Developer role holds responsibility for working closely as part of a squad to fulfil the development and support of full-lifecycle development and test of solutions for Alcumus products. The role will require keeping up to date with the latest relevant technological innovations and looking for ways to input/improve the software process, lead team discussions and to support and refine software processes.
What that means day to day
What you’ll need to be successful
- Write excellent code for our server and front-end applications using Java primarily.
- Support excellent planning and architecture discussions to ensure solutions match the needs of the problem being solved
- Work within a squad and support the squad’s successful execution to its mission, including supporting Stand-up Meetings, Retrospectives, and Planning
- Use and be familiar with the latest tools and technologies and be at the forefront of innovation.
- Work with the Product team to ensure highest priority work is scheduled correctly, and that feature delivery achieves the squad’s mission
- Be talented, highly motivated, and passionate about software quality and continuously strive to improve your skills and the quality of our software products
- Ability to deliver high quality software in Java automated testing (unit, integration, and functional tests)
- Experience working with containerized applications.
- Technology skills across multiple products / platforms
- Sound understanding of broader business domain and ability to communicate to stakeholders
- Owns the development and rollout for an entire feature
- Identifies risks before starting major projects
- Identifies & sets standards
- Understands code dependency and complexity; able to provide risk analysis on changes
- Comfortable presenting to non-technical audience
- Intimate knowledge of coding practices, standards & SDLC (Software Development Life Cycle) including secure coding
- Excellent estimating skills
- Comfortable with ambiguity
What you’ll get in return
- Personal project work that is online, or available via GitHub, or other activity supporting the software ecosystem (ex: meetups, Stack Overflow participation, etc.)
- Exposure to AWS
- Exposure to / supported the implementation of CI/CD processes or other work to improve team outcomes.
- Experience with containerized application development process
FOR THE HERE AND NOW – We provide a mature and flexible ‘work your way’ culture, generous holiday allowance, a ‘giving day’ to give back to others, enhanced family friendly leave (regardless of gender), an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts, cover for a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services, a cycle to work scheme and paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell.
FOR FUN – You spend a significant percentage of your time with your colleagues (and what a great bunch of people they are!) and it’s important to us that everyone contributes to an environment that is positive and full of laughs. We’ve always got something going on, from charity events and competitions to recognition events and awards and we encourage our teams to get involved and have fun along the way.
FOR THE FUTURE – To set you up for later on in life, we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions and a life assurance policy for peace of mind. We offer a plethora of development resources and support, including access to LinkedIn learning to support you as you develop your career with us. Last year alone we filled nearly 30% of our roles with internal candidates (which equates to almost 50 people being promoted!)
Sound interesting so far?
What you can expect if you apply:
- A response to your application within 15 working days
- An interview process consisting of:
- An initial discovery call with the recruiter
- A first stage interview via Microsoft Teams
- Additional interview (likely face to face) with the stakeholders you’ll be working with closely in the role
We’re keen to ensure our hiring process allows you to be at your best, so if you need us to make any adjustments, please just let us know.
- Reporting To: Director, Engineering
- Employment Type: full_time