The Solutions Architect is responsible for creating technical architectural design across products and platforms within the Alcumus technology footprint.
Working across global teams you will have the capability to shape the target architecture of our systems, integrating existing, acquired and new systems to form a single global platform for growth. You will work as part of a growing architecture function that you will lead and be key member of the engineering management team.
We are a global technology team based across Canada and the UK. We have a flexible workplace policy and you'll be able to work from anywhere in the UK, however this role will require regular travel to our Cardiff office.
What that means day to day
By creating the overall technical vision you will:
What you’ll need to be successful
- Hands-on expertise with application design, software development and automated testing
- Translates technical concepts between software engineering, delivery management and service management so they are understood by all
- Provide line management and mentoring as required within the architecture function
- Represent architecture within the engineering management team.
- Work closely with engineering squads to designing platforms and products ensuring their delivery in according to architectural best practices.
- Produce detailed architectural diagrams and demonstrate how these align to overall delivery of solutions.
- Understand how current work fits in broader contexts and strategies, and looking for deeper underlying problems and opportunities.
- Understand technical governance and participate in, or deliver the assurance of a service.
- A drive to learn industry leading/innovative technologies and solutions.
- Open to innovation and experimentation, engage in fun and outcome oriented culture, and is always ready to try new concepts without fear of failure.
- Capable of making and guiding effective decisions, explaining clearly how the decision has been reached.
- The ability to understand and resolve technical disputes across varying levels of complexity and risk.
- Team-oriented, enabling the team to be more effective and productive.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
You'll have an advanced understanding of solutions architectures and software engineering principles and will also have significant hands-on experience on enterprise software development.
What you’ll get in return
- Knowledge in service orientated architecture using RESTFul APIs and relational/NoSQL databases
- Messaging and distributed systems using technologies such as Kafka or Kinesis.
- Knowledge of industry trends and emerging technologies
- Expertise in Java application development and design.
- Experience in PostgreSQL and/or MSSQL database technologies
- Worked in an agile delivery team and is familiar with the processes and ceremonies.
- Ability to prioritise and work within deadlines
- Ability to work under pressure
- Great communicator
- Critical thinking
FOR THE HERE AND NOW – We provide a mature and flexible ‘work your way’ culture, generous holiday allowance, a ‘giving day’ to give back to others, enhanced family friendly leave (regardless of gender), an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts, cover for a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services, a cycle to work scheme and paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell.
FOR FUN – You spend a significant percentage of your time with your colleagues (and what a great bunch of people they are!) and it’s important to us that everyone contributes to an environment that is positive and full of laughs. We’ve always got something going on, from charity events and competitions to recognition events and awards and we encourage our teams to get involved and have fun along the way.
FOR THE FUTURE – To set you up for later on in life, we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions and a life assurance policy for peace of mind. We offer a plethora of development resources and support, including access to LinkedIn learning to support you as you develop your career with us. Last year alone we filled nearly 30% of our roles with internal candidates (which equates to almost 50 people being promoted!)
Sound interesting so far?
What you can expect if you apply:
- A response to your application within 15 working days
- An interview process consisting of:
- An initial discovery call with the recruiter
- A first stage interview via Microsoft Teams
- Additional interview (likely face to face) with the stakeholders you’ll be working with closely in the role
We’re keen to ensure our hiring process allows you to be at your best, so if you need us to make any adjustments, please just let us know.
- Reporting To: VP Engineering
- Employment Type: full_time