As a Senior Data Engineer, you will play a critical role in designing, developing, and maintaining our data warehouse infrastructure, ensuring that it supports the analytical and reporting needs of our business.
This role is primarily focussed on our Data Warehouse and associated Data Mart solutions, however, may evolve into our wider data architecture depending on strategic business need.
What that means day to day
What you’ll need to be successful
- Collaborate with Data Analysts, BI Developers, Data Scientists, and other stakeholders to gather and understand data requirements.
- Lead the design and development of data warehouse solutions using Kimball methodology, including the creation of star and snowflake schema models.
- Implement ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes to populate and update the data warehouse, ensuring data quality, accuracy, and integrity.
- Optimise data warehousing infrastructure for performance and scalability.
- Manage and maintain data warehouse systems, addressing issues, and troubleshooting as needed.
- Develop and maintain documentation related to data warehousing processes and systems.
- Keep abreast of industry best practices and emerging trends in data warehousing and analytics.
- Mentor junior developers and provide guidance on Kimball methodology best practices.
- Collaborate with the business intelligence and analytics teams to ensure access to optimised data to allow the development of meaningful reports and dashboards.
- Minimum 3 years in a similar role with significant focus on the Kimball methodology.
- Proven experience in designing and developing data warehouse models and solutions from inception.
- Expert in SQL and other relevant languages and tools.
- Experience of using Microsoft BI solutions (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS, Power BI).
- Extensive experience of ETL tools (preferably SSIS, Data Factory would be beneficial).
- Database administration, maintenance, and monitoring skills
- A champion of Data Warehouse methodologies and best practice.
- Excellent communication ability (verbal and written)
- High level of knowledge of Cloud based technologies.
What you’ll get in return
- Comprehensive documentation skills
- Knowledge of information governance standards for data security and confidentiality
- Exposure to MS Fabric, Azure Data Factory, SQL Database or Analysis Services
- Understanding of other tools such as AWS Redshift, Looker, Apache Spark would be useful.
- Experience of Setting Up and Maintaining Microsoft Data Export Service.
- Knowledge of data visualisation tools (Power BI, etc).
FOR THE HERE AND NOW – We provide a mature and flexible ‘work your way’ culture, generous holiday allowance, a ‘giving day’ to give back to others, enhanced family friendly leave (regardless of gender), an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts, cover for a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services, a cycle to work scheme and paid time off when you’re physically and mentally unwell.
FOR FUN – You spend a significant percentage of your time with your colleagues (and what a great bunch of people they are!) and it’s important to us that everyone contributes to an environment that is positive and full of laughs. We’ve always got something going on, from charity events and competitions to recognition events and awards and we encourage our teams to get involved and have fun along the way.
FOR THE FUTURE – To set you up for later on in life, we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions and a life assurance policy for peace of mind. We offer a plethora of development resources and support, including access to LinkedIn learning to support you as you develop your career with us. Last year alone we filled nearly 30% of our roles with internal candidates (which equates to almost 50 people being promoted!)
Sound interesting so far?
What you can expect if you apply:
- A response to your application within 15 working days
- An interview process consisting of:
- An initial discovery call with the recruiter
- A first stage interview via Microsoft Teams
- Additional interview (likely face to face) with the stakeholders you’ll be working with closely in the role
We’re keen to ensure our hiring process allows you to be at your best, so if you need us to make any adjustments, please just let us know.
- Employment Type: full_time