: Head of Engineering
: Cardiff, United Kingdom
Alcumus are looking for a Head of Engineering to take our engineering and technology to the next level. This is a new role reporting into our newly appointed CTO and you will have a real opportunity to influence and shape the engineering landscape to make an impact from the word go.
Putting our customers at the centre of our business you’ll be in the pursuit of engineering excellence, building a team and platform for global scale. Constantly thinking about how we can help provide customer centric products, as well as driving our technology, you will be willing to go the extra mile to make sure our customers and the Alcumus team succeed. We’re a growing team with huge aspirations, so you’ll be expected to get stuck in and be able to make a difference from day one.
Alcumus are the UK’s market-leading provider of technology-led risk management solutions that help businesses of all sizes become safer, healthier and stronger.
With PE backing and achieving double-digit year-on-year growth, Alcumus has ambitious growth plans both nationally and internationally.
By combining our product offering in the risk management space, we aim to become an end to end solution for our partners and customers to identify, manage and develop how they and their supply chains operate to achieve safer, healthier and stronger workplaces for all. Our sector expertise and technology act as an enabler for our customers to have peace of mind in how they operate across a suite of H&S, risk and compliance products.
Our tech mission is to break down the complexity of our products and move towards a one cloud environment, which in turn creates an even more innovative and flexible approach to technology that we can replicate and scale as we continue to grow.
The Ideal Candidate
This will be a dynamic, yet challenging role which will suit someone who is focused, embraces change and wants to make a big difference creating something completely new. The role will involve:
Leadership, strategy & planning
- Lead and manage the engineering team to set meaningful objectives, support personal development & mentor relevant team members to maximise their potential
- Drive the strategic direction of our products & services, taking into account emerging and legacy technologies
- Plan for team growth, considering the blend/level of skills required within team and lead on key recruitment decisions
- Lead on the smooth delivery of projects, enhancements and support
- Facilitate technology and methodology decision making throughout team, including standardisation of system architecture, reusable code base development, versions of software tools, best practice, source control and deployment processes
- Act as an escalation point, taking control over critical support instances and putting into place the correct escalation and process to manage and resolve issues as soon as possible Create a culture of continuous learning with no hierarchy on ideas, where individuals take ownership and are proud of delivering excellence and quality
Communication & reporting
- Produce accurate and sustainable software solutions that deliver competitive advantage
- Manage and deliver all solutions through the software development lifecycle, driving consistent standards and approaches throughout the team
- Prepare and provide timely and accurate financial information to enable well informed business decisions
- Collate and summarise key information for reporting to Senior Management and the Board
- Contribute regularly to discussions regarding internal process and system improvements in order to ensure maximum efficiency across the company. Including suggesting technical solutions to problems
- Strive to ensure that processes and appropriate levels of knowledge are shared between teams
- In collaboration with the Technology Senior Management Team, strategically determine which projects are built vs which are configured
The Bits Our People Love
- Proactively drive innovation with new ideas and options made available by new technologies
- We have a genuine focus on health & wellbeing – with mental health awareness trained champions across the business driving a plethora of initiatives, we support and encourage you to bring your best self to work
- We invest in the development of our people - we have a progressive, customer focussed Learning & Development team working to support both your personal and professional development; helping you to shape your career pathway in a way that works for you (28% of our roles in 2020 were filled by internal promotions!)
- We care about charitable work and CSR in our communities – we have always got something going on, from Macmillan coffee mornings and children in need events to installing bee hotels and making food bank donations. We even give you an extra day off for volunteering and CSR work!
- We celebrate success with regular recognition – whether it’s our annual conference celebration, awards for demonstrating our values/ length of service or a simple e-card; we believe in the power of saying thank you
- We work with some fantastic people – we’re not even being biased, 93% of our employees say they have great relationships with the people they work with!
- 25 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) – increasing with length of service up to a maximum of 30 days
- Giving day - an extra day annual leave for you to give back to yourself, your community or support good causes
- Work your way- we have a flexible working options available to allow you to be at your best
- Company pension scheme – we provide an enhanced pension scheme with generous employer contributions to set you up for later in life
- Healthcare scheme – your health matters to us so you’ll get access to an employee assistance programme, 24-hour online GP, gym discounts and the opportunity to claim back a variety of healthcare, dental, optical and wellbeing treatments/services. This covers dependents under 18 in full time education too
- Life assurance – we will provide you with 3x your base salary for peace of mind
- Access to a rewards platform – you’ll benefit from loads of great discounts and cashback opportunities to make your money go further
- Enhanced family friendly leave – because family comes first; we offer an enhanced family friendly leave policy to allow you the time and financial peace of mind to enjoy your new arrival, regardless of your gender
- Cycle to work scheme – you’ll have the opportunity to purchase a shiny new bike and pay us back in instalments
We will endeavour to provide feedback on your application within 2 weeks of submitting your CV.
The typical recruitment process for shortlisted candidates will be an initial conversation with the recruitment team followed by two/three stages of interviews.
These may take place via telephone, Microsoft Teams or face to face.
Alcumus are Equal Opportunity and Diversity Employers. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender perception or identity, national origin, age, marital status, protected veteran status, or disability status.