Alcumus is committed to protecting your privacy. This Privacy Notice explains how companies in Alcumus Group Limited’s group of companies (together, “Alcumus” or “we” or “our” or “us”) use any personal information that we may collect about you when you interact with us. It also explains how we’ll store, handle and keep that data safe.
We know that there’s a lot of information here, but we want you to be fully informed about your rights, and how we use your data.
Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using any of Alcumus’ websites, software applications or portals (the “Services”), then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this Privacy Notice. We may change this Privacy Notice by updating this page. We will notify you of any significant changes, but you’re welcome to come back and check it whenever you wish.
Who is Alcumus?
Alcumus includes each of the following companies:
- Alcumus ContractorCheck Inc. (a company registered in Canada)
- Alcumus Group Limited (a company registered in England and Wales)
- Alcumus Holdings Limited (a company registered in England and Wales)
- Alcumus ISOQAR Limited (a company registered in England and Wales)
- Alcumus PSM Limited (a company registered in England and Wales)
- Alcumus SafeContractor Limited (a company registered in England and Wales)
- Riley Software Limited (a company registered in England and Wales, trading as Simple Compliance).
- When do we collect your information and what information do we collect?
- Compliance with processing personal information.
- Use of your information.
- Sharing your information.
- How long do we keep your information?
- Recording calls.
- Your Rights.
- Where we store your personal data.
- How to contact us.
1. When do we collect your information and what information do we collect?
We collect your information:
- When you use any of our Services;
- When you make an online purchase;
- When you create an account with us;
- When you engage with us on social media or live chat;
- When you contact us with queries or complaints, or to report a problem with a website;
- When you ask one of our partners to email you information about a product or service;
- When you enter prize draws or competitions, or complete any surveys we send you;
- When you book an appointment with us or book to attend an event e.g. conferences, training courses;
- When you comment on or review our products and services;
- When you fill in any forms;
- When you permit a third party to share with us the information they hold about you;
- We collect data from publicly-available sources where the information is made public as a matter of law; and
- When you apply for a job with us.
We will collect and process the following information about you as follows:
- Information you give us. This may include your name, gender, address, e-mail address and phone number, financial and credit card information, personal description and photograph, and any further details agreed in your contract with Alcumus.
- Information we collect about you. With regard to each of your visits to our websites or portals we will automatically collect the following information:
- technical information, including the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your computer to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform; and
- information about your visit, including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), to, through and from our websites (including date and time), products you viewed or searched for, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), methods used to browse away from the page, and any phone number used to call our customer services, sales and/or renewals teams.
- Information we receive from other sources. This is information we receive about you if you use any of the websites we operate or the services we provide. In this case we will have informed you when we collected that data if we intend to share that data internally and combine it with data collected on this website or portal. We will also have told you for what purpose we will share and combine your data. We are working closely with third parties (including, for example, business partners, sub-contractors in technical, payment services, advertising networks, analytics providers, credit reference agencies). We will notify you when we receive information about you from them and the purposes for which we intend to use that information.
Alcumus’ services are not intended for children and Alcumus does not knowingly collect data relating to children unless instructed.
2. Compliance with processing Personal Information
If European Union (EU) or United Kingdom (UK) data protection law applies to the processing of your information, we provide the controls described in this policy so you can exercise your right to request access to, update, remove, and restrict the processing of your information. You also have the right to object to the processing of your information or export your information to another service.
We process your information for the purposes described in this policy, and the type of information that we process is limited to that which is necessary:
• To Deal with your Enquiries
For online or telephone enquiries, we will generally require basic information such as your name and contact details in order to be able to deal with your enquiry.
• Training and Quality Purposes
Telephone calls made to certain telephone numbers within Alcumus may be recorded for training and quality purposes. See also section 6 (Recording Calls) below.
• Website Registration
To register online to receive, for example, email alerts or access to certain documentation, we will require certain basic information from you together with confirmation of the alerts or documentation that you wish to receive.
• Business Purposes
When you enter into a business relationship with us, either via an agreed contract with Alcumus or through your employer or customer, the information that we will require will be of a more detailed nature and may include your business address and contact details. We will need this information to ensure that we provide the requested services to you or your customer (including any member benefits), and for general administrative purposes (e.g. managing an account, undertaking customer satisfaction surveys and research and obtaining credit checks).Any contract we have with you or your customer will be governed either by: (i) the applicable standard T&Cs; or (ii) bespoke contractual documentation agreed with our customers.
We may hold your personal details for research purposes, but in this case, we will never make your personal details available to other companies for marketing purposes without your prior consent other than for the marketing of Alcumus’ products and services or where you have requested us to do so.
3. Use of your information
We use information held about you in the following ways:
Information you give to us. We will use this information:
- to carry out our obligations arising from any contracts entered into between us and you, your employer or customer and to provide you with the information and services that you your employer or customer request from us (this includes account management and obtaining customer feedback);
- to provide you with information about other services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or enquired about;
- to provide you with information about services we feel may interest you (including services provided by affinity partners and providers of member benefits). If you are an existing customer, we will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) with information about services similar to those which were the subject of a previous sale or negotiations of a sale to you;
- to notify you about changes to our services; and
- to ensure our website content is presented in the most effective manner for you and your computer.
Information we collect about you. We will use this information:
- to administer our websites and portals and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve our websites and portals to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer;
- as part of our efforts to keep our websites and portals safe and secure;
- to measure or understand the effectiveness of advertising we serve to you and others, and to deliver relevant advertising to you;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you;
- to ensure the data we hold for you is complete, accurate and up to date; and
- and other users of our websites about products or services that may interest you or them.
Information we receive from other sources. We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you. We will use this information and the combined information for the purposes set out above.
4. Sharing your Information
We sometimes share your personal data with trusted third parties, including:
We may disclose your personal information to third parties for their own purposes in very specific circumstances, including:
- Any member of the Alcumus group of companies, which means our subsidiaries as listed above, our ultimate holding company and its subsidiaries, as defined in section 1159 of the UK Companies Act 2006 (and as outlined above).
- Carefully selected third parties including:
- business partners, suppliers and sub-contractors for the performance of any contract we enter into with you;
- technology companies who support our websites and other online systems (for example, our software hosting and development partners);
- advertisers and advertising networks that require the data to select and serve relevant adverts to you and others. We do not disclose information about identifiable individuals to our advertisers, but we will provide them with aggregate information about our users;
- marketing companies who help us manage our electronic communications with you to show you products that might interest you while you’re browsing the internet. See our Cookies Policy for further details;
- analytics and search engine providers that assist us in the improvement and optimisation of our websites;
- suppliers who carry out market research, customer satisfaction and NPS surveys on our behalf to ensure we are delivering a good service as well as identifying ways we can improve our services;
- data insight companies for the purposes of research, profiling and to ensure your details are up to date and accurate; and
- debt collection agencies, for the purpose of recovering unpaid debts due under our contract with you.
We may disclose your personal information to third parties for their own purposes in very specific circumstances, including:
- With your consent, given at the time you supply your personal data, we may pass that data to a third party who provides member benefits for their direct marketing purposes (in relation to promoted member benefits only);
- If we decide to expand, reduce or sell any Alcumus company or substantially all of its assets, in which case personal data regarding our customers will be transferred to the new owner, under the terms of this Privacy Notice; and
- If we are under a duty to disclose or share your personal data in order to comply with any legal obligation; or to protect the rights, of any Alcumus company, our customers, or others. This includes exchanging information with other organisations for the purposes of fraud protection and credit risk reduction.
5. How long do we keep your information
Whenever we collect or process your personal data, we’ll only keep it for as long as is necessary for the purpose for which it was collected. At the end of that retention period, your data will either be deleted completely or anonymised (e.g. by aggregating it with other data so that it can be used in a non-identifiable way for business planning).
In certain cases, the law requires us to keep personal data for a specific period (e.g. a minimum of forty years in the case of COSHH records).
6. Recording Calls
We may record calls for training and quality purposes. We will not use the information that we collect from you for any purposes other than for training and monitoring the quality of the information that we provide to you during the call.
Call recordings are stored securely and access to such recordings is limited to certain personnel only. Recorded calls will be saved for no longer than is necessary.
7. Your Rights
You have the right to request:
- Access to the personal data we hold about you, free of charge in most cases;
- The correction of your personal data when incorrect, out of date or incomplete;
- That we stop using your personal data for direct marketing (either through specific channels, or all channels);
- Review of any decision made based solely on automatic processing of your data (i.e. where no human has yet reviewed the outcome and criteria for the decision);
- That we erase your personal data, under certain conditions;
- That we restrict the processing of your personal data, under certain conditions; and
- The transfer of your personal data we have collected to another organisation, or directly to you, under certain conditions.
To ask for your information to be amended, please update your online account, or contact your account manager or our Data Protection Officer.
If we choose not to action your request, we will explain to you the reasons for our refusal.
Your right to withdraw consent
Whenever you have given us your consent to use your personal data, you have the right to change your mind at any time and withdraw that consent.
Where we rely on our legitimate interest
Where we are processing your personal data on the basis of our legitimate interest, you can ask us to stop for reasons connected to your individual situation. We must comply unless we believe we have a legitimate overriding reason to continue processing your personal data
Direct marketing and Opt Out
In most cases, we do not undertake marketing, promotions or competitions via the software applications or portals. This is undertaken via other means. You can ask us to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by contacting us. Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us because of a service purchase, service experience or other transactions.
You have the right to stop the use of your personal data for direct marketing activity through all channels, or selected channels. We must always comply with your request.
Checking your identity
To protect your information, we will ask you to verify your identity before proceeding with any request you make under this Privacy Notice. If you have authorised a third party to submit a request on your behalf, we will ask them to prove they have your permission to act.
Our websites may contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, affinity scheme partners, advertisers and affiliates. Please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. You should check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact our UK based Data Protection Officer who will investigate the matter.
For data subjects from the UK, if you are not satisfied with our response or believe we are processing your personal data not in accordance with the law you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO).
9. Where we store your personal data
In relation to our UK companies, the data that we collect from you will not be transferred to or stored at a destination outside the UK or European Economic Area ("EEA") unless there are sufficient technical and operational safeguards in place. This may include transferring your personal data to the Alcumus companies located outside of the EEA or subprocessors who process your data on behalf of Alcumus. We will take all steps reasonably necessary to ensure that your data is treated securely and in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
All information you provide to us is stored on secure servers. Any payment transactions will be encrypted using SSL technology. Where you have chosen a password which enables you to access certain parts of our websites, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share a password with anyone.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted to our websites; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
10. How to contact us
We hope this Privacy Notice has been helpful in terms of how we use your personal data and your rights in relation to such personal data. If you have any questions or wish to make a complaint, please contact our Data Protection Officer:
- Email at [email protected]
- Write to Data Protection Officer, Axys House, Heol Crochendy, Parc Nantgarw, Cardiff CF15 7TW.
This Privacy Notice was last updated on 29 April 2022.